Tag: Porsche

Motorsport: Hulkenberg makes WEC Porsche test debut in Spain

Nico Hulkenberg has tested a Porsche 919 Hybrid for the first time ahead of his World Endurance Championship debut with the German manufacturer in 2015.

Hülkenberg sampled the 919 at MotorLand Aragón on Tuesday and is set to race a third car in the 6 Hours of Spa in May next year in preparation for the Le Mans 24 Hours in June, alongside his Force India F1 commitments.

However, doubt was cast over Hülkenberg’s plans last week after the release of the 2015 Formula 1 calendar featured a provisional return for the Korean Grand Prix on the same weekend as the race in Belgium.

Porsche has not yet confirmed the drivers who will race alongside Hülkenberg in the third 919 next year.

Ex-Red Bull driver Mark Webber switched to the WEC with Porsche for 2014, claiming three podium finishes alongside Timo Bernhard and Brendon Hartley in the #20 machine.

Read more at gpupdate.net

Le Mans: Alonso won’t be able to combine F1 and Le Mans in 2015

There are some contractual complications with McLaren and Honda on Fernando’s way to Le Mans.

Fernando Alonso is unlikely to be able to squeeze the Le Mans 24 Hours into his 2015 schedule, despite trying hard to convince McLaren to allow him to do the race.

Alonso attended this year’s 24 Hours and the recent Bahrain WEC event, and encouraged by friend Mark Webber he has been actively trying to find a seat – with Porsche his main target. The former World Champion was attracted by the idea of being the first F1 superstar in decades to try to fit the race into his regular schedule.

Nico Hulkenberg has been able to agree such an arrangement with Force India, but unsurprisingly for Alonso there are added contractual complications with McLaren and Honda.

While the Japanese manufacturer is perhaps less concerned about its star driver appearing for Porsche, as opposed to a direct market rival such as Toyota, Nissan or Audi, McLaren’s own status as a supercar maker has complicated matters. There are also questions over clashes of partners such as Pirelli and Michelin.

Read more at motorsport.com

Le Mans: Alonso to join Hulkenberg at Le Mans – reports

Fernando Alonso could follow Nico Hulkenberg’s lead in splitting his F1 duties with a sensational debut at the fabled Le Mans 24 hours next year.

Last week, the sports car prototype manufacturer Porsche announced it has signed Force India’s Hulkenberg to race not only at Le Mans next June but also the Spa six hours.

It was said Hulkenberg would drive a third three-driver Porsche prototype in 2015. His teammates for the Le Mans entry were not announced.

This year, Porsche returned to prototype Le Mans competition with Mark Webber leading one of the two 919 Hybrid cars.

Now, Italy’s Autosprint is reporting that with Alonso now close to having his full-time F1 seat with McLaren finally announced, it could be followed by a shock round of extra news.

A complement
The publication cited sources close to the German marque as saying Spaniard Alonso, who famously officially started this year’s edition of the Le Mans 24 hours, could also sign up with Porsche for 2015.

“Porsche would not be an alternative to McLaren-Honda for Alonso,” agreed Spain’s El Mundo Deportivo, “but a complement.”

The report said Alonso would join Hulkenberg in the third Porsche entry, along with another unknown driver.

“Despite their friendship,” El Mundo Deportivo added, “Fernando would not race in the same car as Mark Webber.”

The report said the biggest stumbling block to a Le Mans deal for Alonso is the fact that McLaren is a direct sports car-making rival of Porsche.

Read more at motorsport.com

Motorsport: Webber ‘a lucky boy’ to survive WEC crash

Mark Webber says he is “a lucky boy” after avoiding serious injury in his huge World Endurance Championship crash thanks to the angle of impact.

Webber, who won nine races in 12 seasons of Formula One before retirement last year, slammed into the wall during the final hour of the six-hour Sao Paulo race at the uphill left-hander after Juncao where he had a nasty crash at the 2003 Brazilian Grand Prix. Webber’s wrecked Porsche was left in flames after colliding with Matteo Cressoni’s Ferrari GT but he gave the thumbs up to the crowd as he was stretchered away.

Webber was discharged from Bandeirantes hospital on Monday night but is expected to remain in Brazil for a couple of days before he is cleared to fly home to the UK. Cressoni, who was taken to the same hospital, was also released on Monday without serious injury and returned home to Italy in the evening.

Upon his release Webber tweeted for the first time since the accident and thanked fans for the support he had received.

webber-tweet-after-accident

Read more at ESPN

WEC: Mark Webber: ‘pretty bruised’ after Brazil crash

Former Formula 1 driver Mark Webber said he was “pretty bruised” and had a “stinking headache” after a crash in a World Endurance Championship race.

Webber spent the night in a local hospital after the accident in Sunday’s Six Hours of Sao Paulo event.

“I’ve got no recollection of the accident or how it happened – the team is looking into the details,” he said.

“Thanks to the medical team at the track and here at the hospital who did a great job.”

Webber was concussed by the accident but said, via his website,  he was being looked after “very well”.

The Australian, 38, who quit F1 in 2013 after 12 years, was racing for Porsche and expects to be competing in the series again next year.

“On a positive note it’s great that the boys in car number 14 managed to bring home the victory which is a fantastic way to finish off the season,” said Webber.

“I’m already looking forward to getting out there again next year.”

Race organisers said there had been a “serious” collision between his car and the Ferrari of Italy’s Matteo Cressoni.

A statement on his website added: “Mark is still under care at the hospital but is set to return to the UK later this week.”

The FIA, motor sport’s world governing body, said the race ended under the safety car following the accident.

They added: “Both drivers were taken to the circuit’s medical centre and, after initial examination, to the local Hospital Bandeirantes for further checks, their condition has been reported as satisfactory.”

Webber’s former F1 teams include Williams and Red Bull, where he raced alongside four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel. He enjoyed nine grand prix wins in his 12-year career.

British F1 driver Jenson Button tweeted:   “Glad to see @AussieGrit is OK after his shunt at Interlagos @FIAWEC, that was a big one matey.”

Read more at BBC Sport