Section: West Ham

Premiership: Man City 2-0 West Ham

Manchester City firmed up their grip on a top-four place as they beat West Ham to secure their first win in three Premier League games.

James Collins looped an attempted clearance from a Jesus Navas cross into his own net to give City the lead.

Navas set up Sergio Aguero to slot in a second after a slick counter-attack.

With the game won, City playmaker David Silva was carried off on a stretcher after being caught in the face by Cheikhou Kouyate’s right elbow.

Silva appeared to be given oxygen as he received eight minutes of treatment prior to his departure in the 75th minute.

Before the game, City boss Manuel Pellegrini conceded he could be sacked if his team do not finish in the top four to claim a Champions League place for next season.

But while speculation about his future continues given their tame title defence, the chances of missing out on a place in Europe’s elite club competition receded with this victory.

With five matches remaining, Pellegrini’s side are seven points clear of fifth-placed Liverpool, who have a game in hand, and a point behind derby rivals Manchester United.

Read more at BBC Sport

Premiership: Arsenal 3-0 West Ham

Arsenal warmed up for their crucial Champions League second-leg tie at Monaco on Tuesday with a 10th successive win over West Ham.

The Gunners dominated the first half before Olivier Giroud smashed in an angled drive just before half-time.

Kevin Nolan and Matt Jarvis came close to scoring for the Hammers.

But late strikes from Aaron Ramsey and Mathieu Flamini earned a win which puts Arsenal a point behind second-placed Manchester City.

City’s 1-0 defeat by Burnley came after a convincing performance from Arsene Wenger’s side, who will be aiming to overturn a 3-1 deficit in France next week.

An identical scoreline would see them progress but as unlikely as that might be, the Frenchman will be pleased his side came through the game unscathed and finally found their range after wasting a number of chances.

Until the strikes from Ramsey and Flamini, West Ham looked like they might build up a period of sustained pressure, but the introduction of Santi Cazorla helped earn Arsenal a seventh win in their last eight games.

Conjuring up a number of flowing moves from the start, the Gunners should have gone into the break more than one goal ahead. They only held a slender lead thanks to several saves from West Ham goalkeeper Adrian.

The opportunities arrived as early as the fifth minute when the Gunners had a strong penalty appeal waved away by referee Chris Foy after James Collins bundled over Arsenal forward Theo Walcott.

Walcott, in for injured winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, showed some rustiness when presented with further opportunities in what was only his third Premier League start of the season.

Other Arsenal players, such as Alexis Sanchez and Ramsey, found Adrian an unbreachable force.

The home crowd began to grow frustrated but they went into the break lifted by Giroud’s goal as the French striker finished another neat interchange by crashing his shot in off the far post. It was his sixth goal in seven games.

With Diafro Sakho a lone threat up front, Hammers boss Sam Allardyce screamed at his players to get further forward in the second half.

It seemed to have an effect as West Ham grew in influence and Jarvis went close, but he could not keep his shot down from a corner.

Giroud played his part in the second goal as he set up Ramsey following a throw-in, with Flamini adding the gloss from close-range with his first touch.

Read more at BBC Sport

Premiership: West Ham 0-1 Chelsea

Chelsea followed up their Capital One Cup victory with a hard-fought 1-0 win on their return to Premier League business at West Ham.

Jose Mourinho won a first trophy of his second spell as Blues boss with a 2-0 win over Tottenham on Sunday and Chelsea remain well placed to add a first Premier League title in five years.

The Hammers had one win in 17 against the Blues entering the contest but refused to be cowed by the leaders and deserved more, only for Eden Hazard’s first-half header to settle the contest, keeping Chelsea five points clear of second-placed Manchester City.

Mourinho spoke of short celebrations after the Wembley win and captain John Terry insisted they had been postponed until the end of the season, when he hoped there would be further cause to party.

Yet at times it appeared as though Chelsea’s defenders had a hangover as the pace of Enner Valencia, Diafra Sakho and Stewart Downing found holes.

Terry was booked for pulling down Valencia in the first half and cautious thereafter, with Chelsea indebted to a number of fine saves from the restored Thibaut Courtois – namely from Cheikhou Kouyate and Sakho – as the Hammers pressed forwards.

Ramires struck a post on the counter-attack and had a header well saved by Adrian, while Willian spurned a late chance for a second to settle the contest.

The Hammers now have one win in 11 league games to slip further down the standings – and Sam Allardyce appears to be running out of time to convince his bosses to extend his contract, which expires at the end of the season.

Chelsea’s players, meanwhile, have two days off before resuming preparations for next week’s Champions League last-16 second leg with Paris St Germain.

Read more at ESPN

Premiership: Spurs 2-2 West Ham

Harry Kane won a penalty and scored with the last kick of the game to earn Tottenham a draw against West Ham.

Kane’s 96th-minute penalty was saved but he reacted quickest to give Spurs an unlikely point at White Hart Lane.

West Ham had led 2-0 through goals from Diafra Sakho and Cheikhou Kouyate with just nine minutes left to play.

Danny Rose’s mis-hit long-range shot set up the comeback before Kane, who was felled by Alex Song, pounced to score his 24th goal of the season.

Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino made six changes to the side that drew 1-1 with Fiorentina in the last 32 of the Europa League in midweek, as he prepared for the second match of a demanding schedule of six games in 17 days that includes Thursday’s return leg in Florence and next Sunday’s League Cup final against Chelsea.

With Spurs also chasing Champions League qualification via a top-four finish in the Premier League, Pochettino recalled top-scorer Kane for this London derby but opted to rest his other star performer this season, Christian Eriksen.

Spurs started in typically quick fashion as Nabil Bentaleb twice tested West Ham goalkeeper Adrian with long-range efforts before Kane struck the post in an opening 10-minute spell in which Spurs enjoyed 82% possession.

However, it was the robust-tackling Hammers who took the lead on 22 minutes when Mousa Dembele lost possession on the edge of his own box and midfielder Kouyate rose between two defenders to powerfully head home Aaron Cresswell’s cross.

That proved to be Dembele’s key contribution to the match as he was replaced at half-time by Eriksen, who had started Tottenham’s last 34 Premier League games and notched 11 goals and four assists in all competitions this season.

But it was West Ham who continued to create the better chances and after Sakho had squandered a one-on-one with Hugo Lloris, the Senegal striker made no mistake at the back post on 62 minutes, squeezing in Mark Noble’s cross for his 11th goal of the season.

West Ham looked set for a first victory in four Premier League games to ease the pressure on manager Sam Allardyce, whose future had been the subject of speculation following a humiliating 4-0 FA Cup loss to West Brom in midweek.

However, Spurs had other ideas and after Rose had halved the deficit with his fortuitous strike, Kane once again stepped forward as Spurs’ saviour this season.

The striker went down in the box under the slightest pressure from Song and after seeing his penalty saved by Adrian kept his composure to slot home the rebound for the Premier League’s sixth-placed side.

Read more at BBC Sport

FA Cup: West Brom 4-0 West Ham

Brown Ideye scores twice as West Brom reach FA Cup quarterfinals

Reinvigorated striker Brown Ideye inspired West Brom to a 4-0 FA Cup romp against West Ham as the Baggies reached the quarterfinals in style.

The striker bagged two as he continued his remarkable return to form under head coach Tony Pulis.

James Morrison and Saido Berahino also scored while former Albion loanee Morgan Amalfitano was sent off for the Hammers just 10 minutes after coming on.

Ideye, a 10 million pound record buy, was set to leave the Baggies on deadline day for Qatari club Al Gharafa but stayed because they failed to land Carlton Cole from the Hammers.

Cole stayed at Upton Park after their move for Tottenham’s Emmanuel Adebayor broke down and since then Ideye has scored four goals in three games.

Ideye and Berahino started as their blossoming partnership continued while Craig Gardner replaced the cup-tied Darren Fletcher and Stephane Sessegnon came in for Callum McManaman.

Kevin Nolan and Mark Noble returned for the Hammers with ex-Baggies target Cole on the bench.

After an even opening Ryan Cresswell fired a free-kick over but the Baggies took control and deservedly opened the scoring on 20 minutes.

Craig Dawson won Gardner’s crossfield ball ahead of Cresswell to break down the right and, with Ideye free in the centre, found the striker who converted from five yards.

The Nigeria international has admitted he feels reborn under Pulis and he had the Hammers in trouble again soon after, going down under Nolan’s challenge in the area with replays suggesting it was a penalty.

Albion were dominant and Sessegnon blazed over but Gardner almost scored in spectacular style eight minutes before the break.

The midfielder collected the ball 35 yards from goal and unleashed a fierce drive which crashed off Adrian’s bar.

Gareth McAuley lashed the rebound over but the Baggies did not have long to wait before doubling their lead.

They had been on top since scoring and grabbed a deserved second when Morrison rode Noble’s challenge and lashed into the corner from 25 yards.

A third then arrived on 57 minutes from Ideye when he nodded in Sessegnon’s cross from six yards.

The Hammers had offered little but Ben Foster had to save well from Diafra Sakho’s header, with McAuley then clearing off the line on 65 minutes.

But West Ham imploded with 20 minutes left when Amalfitano – who was on loan at West Brom last season – was sent off just 10 minutes after replacing Nolan.

He was initially booked for a foul on Chris Brunt but reacted by pushing the midfielder in the face to receive a straight red.

Then, barely two minutes later, Berahino rifled in from a tight angle to spark a mass exodus of the travelling West Ham fans.

They had jeered Sam Allardyce’s substitutions and also briefly abused the manager in the second half.

Adrian then saved well from Ideye’s flick late on to deny the striker as the Baggies cruised through.

Read more at ESPN

Premiership: West Ham keeper Adrian’s red card overturned, but club charged

West Ham goalkeeper Adrian’s red card against Southampton has been overturned by the Football Association and he can play against West Brom in the FA Cup.

However, his club has been charged with failing to control their players after the incident during their goalless draw at St Mary’s Stadium on Wednesday.

Adrian, 28, was sent off after he handled the ball outside the penalty area as he challenged Sadio Mane.

But the FA have said Adrian had not denied a goalscoring opportunity.

It means the Spaniard is eligible to play in his side’s FA Cup fifth-round tie at the Hawthorns on Saturday (12:45 GMT).

Referee Craig Pawson dismissed Adrian in the 61st minute of the Hammers’ Premier League game at Southampton and his team-mates reacted angrily to the decision.

The FA have judged that West Ham “failed to ensure that its players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion”. The club has until 18:00 GMT on 18 February to respond to the charge.

Read more at BBC Sport

Premiership: 0-0 West Ham

West Ham had goalkeeper Adrian sent off but frustrated Southampton by holding on for a goalless draw at St Mary’s.

The keeper was red carded when he handled outside his box under pressure from Sadio Mane after a clumsy touch.

Mane was denied by a goal-line clearance earlier and Saints pushed for a winner but Maya Yoshida headed over as the Hammers defended bravely.

West Ham’s point came despite an injury to substitute Andy Carroll who was hobbling badly in the closing stages.

The Hammers’ first clean sheet in 18 away games means Southampton dropped to fourth, a point ahead of Arsenal.

Few Saints’ fans could have dreamed their side would be pushing for a top-four finish when players such as Adam Lallana, Luke Shaw and Dejan Lovren left in the summer but this latest result will feel like a missed opportunity.

Ronald Koeman’s side failed to create clear-cut chances before Adrian was dismissed but they dominated the remaining 30 minutes without adding the end product to their approach work.

Striker Graziano Pelle, now without a goal in eight league games, glanced a header wide in added time and in a frantic finish Dusan Tadic was denied by a Jussi Jaaskelainen save.

West Ham played the closing stages with Carroll limping, effectively reducing them to nine capable players but their determined display leaves them eighth, eight points behind their hosts.

Their manager Sam Allardyce this week told reporters “no coach was more sophisticated” than him in the Premier League and he had to make late adjustments to his side, admitting before kick off his staff “haven’t had any real practice with those available” since Sunday’s draw with Manchester United.

Despite being without the injured Kevin Nolan and unwell Mark Noble in midfield, they were still organised throughout.

Aside from Mane’s run and shot which prompted a Carl Jenkinson clearance in the first half, Adrian was relatively untroubled until the hour mark, where the first sending off of his career arrived.

It was a clear dismissal as his decision to try to wrong-foot Mane backfired, prompting panic which ended with the Spaniard falling on the ball and striking it with his hand.

The home side sensed a seventh win in nine league games and introduced January signing Filip Djuricic for his debut but neither he nor fellow substitute Tadic could break the resistance.

Southampton attacked in waves and Aaron Cresswell’s brave block prevented Nathaniel Clyne’s powerful volley, before Yoshida headed over when well placed.

Koeman’s side have now failed to win at home in five of their last seven league games but have only dropped out of the top four for two weeks since September.

Read more at BBC Sport

Premiership: West Ham 1-1 Man Utd

West Ham were denied a first Premier League win over Manchester United in seven years and 13 attempts by Daley Blind’s stoppage-time strike.

The Hammers had looked like enhancing their European hopes and denting Manchester United’s bid for Champions League football when makeshift defender Cheikhou Kouyate twice juggled the ball before, with his third touch, hitting a superb volley on the turn into the net.

Radamel Falcao missed a glorious opportunity to equalise 14 minutes from time, but Blind popped up to score late on and earn a 1-1 draw for the visitors, who finished the game with 10 men as Luke Shaw was sent off for two bookable offences.

Wayne Rooney, Falcao, Angel di Maria, Adnan Januzaj and Robin van Persie all started for Manchester United against an injury-depleted West Ham, who deployed midfielder Kouyate in central defence.

The fact goalkeeper David de Gea was the away team’s best player after 30 minutes, saving twice from Enner Valencia, told how Louis van Gaal’s expensively assembled side struggled to assert themselves.

Kouyate’s deflected strike, after Rooney’s poor header, sparked United into life, but they had not won away from home after conceding first since December 2013, and not at all under Van Gaal.

But they avoided following Liverpool and Manchester City in leaving Upton Park defeated this term as Blind swept the ball into the net when Carl Jenkinson, on his 23rd birthday, failed to clear Marcos Rojo’s lofted ball into the box.

It was harsh on West Ham but extended Manchester United’s unbeaten away run in the Premier League to seven games.

Read more at ESPN

Premiership: Liverpool 2-0 West Ham

Daniel Sturridge scores on Liverpool return in win over West Ham

Striker Daniel Sturridge enjoyed the perfect return from injury as he scored within 12 minutes of coming off the bench to give Liverpool’s Champions League ambitions a timely boost.

The 25-year-old had been missing for five months — 33 matches and 3,030 minutes of football in total — with thigh and calf injuries but showed he had lost none of his clinical finishing skills with an angled strike past Adrian to complete a 2-0 victory over West Ham.

His short-term stand-in Raheem Sterling had scored his fifth goal in 10 matches, which is not a bad return for an only-recently converted centre-forward, to put the Reds on the road to victory but Sturridge applied the finishing touch to put the result beyond doubt.

Sturridge’s 22-minute run-out, having replaced Lazar Markovic, could not have gone better and it ensured another England striker did not grab the headlines on his return to Anfield.

Exactly four years to the day Liverpool signed Andy Carroll in a still staggering club-record 35 million pound deal but having been unceremoniously dumped by Brendan Rodgers the big front man arrived with a point to prove.

The only points he made in the first half, however, seemed to come from his elbow as he caught Emre Can in the mouth and Markovic in the face either end of the half.

His first indiscretion, which left the Germany Under-21 international with a bloodied mouth, appeared to carry more intent than the second, accidental knock, but referee Andre Marriner saw nothing he felt warranted a foul.

Aside from one header, easily saved by Simon Mignolet, at a corner that was the sum effort of his afternoon.

After the break his clumsiness continued when he was booked for catching Emre Can with a late, sliding tackle. He appeared to injure himself and was replaced by Carlton Cole soon after.

Liverpool showed many familiar traits; quick passing, neat build-up until the final third and a lack of threat inside the penalty area.

Philippe Coutinho, Adam Lallana — back in the starting line-up for the rested Steven Gerrard — and Markovic (twice) had their best opportunities while Sterling wanted a penalty just before the break after Joey O’Brien appeared to haul him to the floor.

However, the West Ham defence could not get near the England forward for his goal six minutes after half-time when he slotted Coutinho’s brilliant through-ball past Adrian.

It had all the hallmarks of a genuine striker’s cool finish and was a reflection not only of Sterling’s continued improvement in front of goal but also the growing understanding between himself and Coutinho, another of the Reds’ bright young things.

Rodgers has frequently described the Brazil international as a “magician” and his ability to produce the trickery to unlock defences as tight as West Ham’s will be something Sturridge will relish as he makes his way back into the action.

He certainly took full advantage after coming off the bench in the 68th minute.

Having received a rapturous reception from an Anfield crowd starved of his goal threat for far too long he rewarded them with an angled strike after exchanging passes with Coutinho.

It was almost like he had not been away but it was evident there was some rustiness when he snatched at the rebound from fellow substitute Jordan Ibe’s shot.

Where Liverpool would have been now had Sturridge been fit for the majority of the season is a hypothetical debate but this result meant they moved ahead of their opponents, who have not won at Anfield since 1963.

Where they are now is eyeing a Champions League spot, buoyed by the return of their first-choice goalscorer, with fourth-placed Southampton just points away, albeit with a match in hand.

Read more at ESPN

FA Cup: Bristol City 0-1 West Ham

Substitute Diafra Sakho headed West Ham into the fifth round of the FA Cup, breaking the hearts of brave Bristol City with an 81st-minute winner.

It was the striker’s first appearance since suffering a back injury against West Brom on New Year’s Day and he marked it by rising at the far post to beat Frank Fielding from close range after Andy Carroll had done well to get in a cross from the right.

The outcome was harsh on the Sky Bet League One promotion contenders, who were competitive throughout and gave their Barclays Premier League opponents all the trouble they could handle.

City looked the more threatening side for most of a lively first half and it took two goal line clearances to keep the Hammers on level terms.

Mark Noble was on hand to block Matt Smith’s fifth-minute header after Aden Flint’s power in the air at a corner had set up the chance.

And Carroll did even better to divert another Smith header over his own crossbar in the 26th minute, leaving the big City striker holding his head in disbelief after he had connected with a Jay Emmanuel-Thomas cross.

Smith had already seen an early shot blocked by James Tomkins and Joe Bryan fired across goal from an Emmanuel-Thomas pass as the home side displayed the confidence gained from their league form this season.

It took West Ham until the 37th minute to force a save from Fielding. Then Carroll’s close-range shot was straight at the City goalkeeper from a Carl Jenkinson cross.

Kevin Nolan had a shot charged down by Bryan as the first half drew to an end, but it had been a largely frustrating one for the Premier League outfit.

City were more energetic in midfield, with Luke Freeman and debutant loanee George Saville showing up well.

The second half began more quietly, with an Emmanuel-Thomas free-kick from 25 yards bringing a comfortable save from Adrian in the 55th minute.

West Ham were still struggling to put any meaningful moves together and Sam Allardyce had seen enough, sending on Sakho and Morgan Amalfitano for Enner Valencia and the out-of-sorts Alex Song before the hour mark.

Stewart Downing sprang to life in the 62nd minute, driving at the City defence and sending a powerful shot over from the edge of the box.

But it was a rare moment of anxiety for Fielding. At the other end Smith continued to pose problems, heading over from Bryan’s left-wing cross.

Flint was outstanding at the back for City and did well to block a Sakho shot in the 75th minute and seconds later the lively Hammers substitute went closer, grazing the crossbar with the fierce shot from 12 yards.

Home boss Steve Cotterill responded by sending on Scott Wagstaff for Mark Little at right wing-back as the visiting fans did their best to lift their team following Sakho’s efforts.

West Ham were looking increasingly solid, but Nolan picked up a booking for a late challenge on Bryan, whose deep cross from the left was then headed over at the far post by Luke Ayling.

Amalfitano forced a save from Fielding with a curling shot from distance just before the deadlock was finally broken. Even then, City almost forced an injury-time equaliser when Smith headed inches wide from an Emmanuel-Thomas cross.

Read more at ESPN