Section: Tranmere

FA Cup: Tranmere 2-6 Swansea

Bafetimbi Gomis struck twice as Premier League Swansea City beat Tranmere Rovers to make the FA Cup fourth round.

Nathan Dyer’s first-half opener was followed by classy efforts by Modou Barrow and on-loan Tom Carroll.

Max Power hit back before Gomis and Cole Stockton exchanged goals.

Substitute Wayne Routledge, who had a suspension overturned on Friday, scored before Gomis added a sixth.

The visitors, who made nine changes, dominated the opening period with about 80% possession against Micky Adams’s side.

But the former Swansea boss – who was in charge for three games in 13 days in 1997 – may well have been relieved that Tranmere’s opponents were unable to truly drive home their early advantage.

Barrow was on target with a chance midway through the first half only for team-mate Jay Fulton to end up holding his head in his hands after blocking the effort inside the six-yard box.

Gomis also clipped a shot high and Marvin Emnes cracked an effort across goal.

At the other end goalkeeper Gerhard Tremmel was forced to parry Power’s low drive before gathering to thwart the danger.

It took the Premier League side 34 minutes to break the deadlock against the side who lie one place off the League Two relegation zone.

Carroll set up Dyer’s chance and after keeper Owain Fon Williams blocked the first attempt, Dyer made no mistake with the second attempt.

Swansea’s second as created by Gambian recruit Barrow and finished stylishly by Carroll, who is on loan for the season from Tottenham Hotspur.

Barrow tapped in the third from close range after Gomis sent the ball across the face of the goal.

And on another visit to Merseyside, Swansea saw their goalkeeper fluff a clearance, leading to a score.

This time it was Tremmel, rather than Lukasz Fabianski who was to blame.

Fabianski’s clearance rebounded in off Adam Lallana in their 4-1 defeat at Liverpool last Monday.

Not to be outdone, Tremmel found Power with his effort, also resulting in a rebound goal.

Emnes gave Gomis the chance to calmly cut back and crack in Swansea’s fourth.

Stockton headed in to reward Rovers’ hard graft only for Swansea to produce a rapid response.

A day after Swansea successfully challenged Routledge’s sending off in their 1-1 Premier League draw against Queens Park Rangers on New Year’s Day, the player responded by scoring after coming on as a substitute.

Gomis put the finishing touch to Swansea’s composed performance after his turns and swerves kept Rovers’ defence at bay.

Read more at BBC Sport

League 2: Tranmere 1-1 Cambridge

Michael Nelson’s late header rescued a point for 10-man Cambridge United against Tranmere Rovers.

Rovers substitute Cole Stockton put the hosts ahead, turning in Liam Ridehalgh’s left-wing cross.

The visitors’ task was made even tougher moments later as Robbie Simpson was shown a second yellow card for fouling Steve Jennings.

Nelson’s header from Sullay Kaikai’s corner earned the U’s a draw, with Stockton wasteful for Rovers late on.

Read more at BBC Sport

League 2: Tranmere 1-2 Southend

Southend beat lowly Tranmere to record their third consecutive League Two win and move to within three points of the automatic promotion places.

A close-range effort by Jack Payne and a Will Aimson own goal put the Shrimpers in control before the break.

Max Power pulled a goal back for the hosts from the penalty spot in the second half after Cian Bolger brought down Shamir Fenelon.

Tranmere are in the bottom two and six points adrift of safety.

Read more at BBC Sport