Section: Belgian Pro

Champions League: Arsenal 3-3 Anderlecht

Arsenal moved to the brink of the Champions League’s last 16 despite blowing a 3-0 lead against Anderlecht.

Mikel Arteta’s penalty put the Gunners ahead after Danny Welbeck was fouled by Chancel Mbemba.

Alexis Sanchez doubled the lead with a stunning 20-yard volley before Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain added the third.

Anthony Vanden Borre reduced the deficit from close range before scoring a penalty, with Aleksandar Mitrovic equalising in the last minute.

Arsenal were set to book their place in the knockout stages when substitute Mitrovic headed Andy Najar’s 90th-minute cross past Wojciech Szczesny from close range.

The Londoners still need one point from their two remaining games – at home to Borussia Dortmund on 26 November and at Galatasaray on 9 December – to advance.

But with Dortmund five points clear, their hopes of finishing top of the group and heading into next month’s draw as one of the seeded teams are fading.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger looked furious at the end.

Though Vanden Borre was clearly offside when he scored his first goal, there can be no excuses for the lapses of concentration that allowed the Belgian champions to take a point.

Indeed there was no evidence of the drama to come at a rain-lashed Emirates when two goals in the space of four first-half minutes put the Gunners in control.

Chile international Sanchez had already been denied by a post when Mbemba felled Welbeck to gift Arteta his first goal in the competition, the Spaniard coolly chipping his 25th-minute spot-kick down the middle.

It was 2-0 four minutes later, the tireless Sanchez finding the net with a sublime low 20-yard volley after his free-kick cannoned off the visitors’ wall.

Anderlecht battled throughout but they looked beaten when Oxlade-Chamberlain put Wenger’s side 3-0 ahead by drilling home after a powerful 58th-minute run.

Vanden Borre was at least a yard offside when he began Anderlecht’s amazing fightback from close range in the 61st minute.

Nacho Monreal’s clumsy foul on Mitrovic then allowed Vanden Borre to make it 3-2 from the penalty spot.

And, just as Arsenal appeared to have weathered Anderlecht’s late flurry, the dangerous Mitrovic headed home to the delight of the 3,000 travelling fans.

Read more on BBC Sport

Champions League: Anderlecht 1-2 Arsenal

Arsene Wenger celebrated his 65th birthday with a vital Champions League win as Arsenal scored twice in the final two minutes to beat Anderlecht.

After a dire first half, the Belgian champions looked set to ruin Wenger’s day when Honduras winger Andy Najar headed in Dennis Praet’s cross.

But left-back Kieran Gibbs’s volley at the far post brought the Gunners level.

The Gunners’ remarkable fightback leaves them with six points at the halfway stage of Group D, with German side Borussia Dortmund leading the way with a perfect record of three wins.

Anderlecht’s late capitulation – which means they have not won in their last 11 Champions League ties – leaves them five points adrift of Wenger’s team ahead of next month’s return fixture at Emirates Stadium.

And Lukas Podolski smashed in the winner from close range as Arsenal maintained their grip on second place.

Arsenal knew that victories in their back-to-back matches against the Belgians would put them on the verge of the Champions League knockout phase for the 12th consecutive season.

But they looked to be facing an uphill task to reach the last 16 after Najar’s goal moved the home side close to their first win against English opposition since beating Manchester United in October 2000.

And the Gunners were fortunate not to fall further behind as a young Anderlecht side threatened to add to their tally.

Ex-Portsmouth defender Anthony Vanden Borre scuffed against the Arsenal post before goalscorer Najar smashed the rebound into the side-netting.

Wenger was forced into giving third-choice keeper Emiliano Martinez his Champions League debut in the absence of Wojciech Szczesny (suspension) and David Ospina (injury).

But the Argentine was barely called into action until the closing stages when he twice stopped Anderlecht doubling their lead.

Chile winger Alexis Sanchez provided Arsenal’s greatest threat in the first half, when neither side managed a shot on target, and continued to pose problems after the break with his pace and movement.

The £35m summer signing from Barcelona escaped his marker to meet Santi Cazorla’s curling free-kick with a flick which home keeper Silvio Proto pushed clear with a reaction save.

Read more on BBC Sport


Champions League: Standard Liege, Lille through, Panathinaikos out

Standard Liege dumped Panathinaikos out of the Champions League courtesy of a 2-1 win at the Apostolos Nikolaidis stadium.

Having played out a scoreless first leg, the hosts took a 10th minute lead courtesy of aDino Arslanagic own goal.

However, efforts from Yanis Mbombo on 36 and Paul-Jose M’Poku on 41 ensured the Belgians progressed to the play-off round.

Lille overcame Grasshoppers 3-1 on aggregate to ensure their spot in the next round.

Leading 2-0 from the first leg, the hosts took the lead on 19 minutes courtesy of a Florent Balmont strike but Grasshoppers were given hope when Amir Abrashi restored parity on the night with 33 minutes gone.

However, any hopes of a dramatic turnaround were dealt a fatal blow when Daniel Pavlovicreceived a red card on 69 minutes.

BATE Borisov beat Debrecen 3-1 to also progress to the play-off round courtesy of a 3-2 aggregate win.

Debrecen, who led 1-0 from the first leg, took a two-goal aggregate advantage when Ibrahim Sidibe dispatched a 20th minute penalty.

However, when Selim Bouadla was sent off for a second bookable offence in the 38th minute, the hosts capitalised almost immediately when Aleksandr Volodko levelled proceedings on the night with 39 minutes gone.

Vitali Rodionov’s close range finish brought the tie to parity on 66 minutes before Sergei Krivets’ injury time header made sure of the win.

Agim Ibraimi grabbed two goals as Maribor drew 2-2 against Maccabi Tel Aviv to progress 3-2 on aggegate.

Maribor took a one-goal advantage from the first leg and looked sure to progress when Ibraimi fired them ahead on the night with 35 minutes gone.

However, goals from Tal Ben Haim on 42 minutes and Eden Ben Basat on 53 brought Maccabi Tel Aviv level on aggregate.

Ibraimi however restored the Slovenian’s aggregate advantage almost immediately with a 54th minute strike.

Read More on Yahoo Sport