Section: Conference

Conference: Alfreton 0-2 Grimsby

Grimsby kept pace in the hunt for automatic promotion with victory at struggling Alfreton Town.

Grimsby debutant Josh Gowling broke the deadlock midway through the second half, firing Jack Mackreth’s cross into the bottom corner.

Mackreth then hit a post with an angled shot from the edge of the area and Alfreton striker Karl Hawley steered a close-range effort onto the crossbar.

Lenell John-Lewis headed home Craig Clay’s cross to secure the points.

The Mariners remain three points behind league leaders Barnet while Alfreton stay in 20th, six points above the bottom four.

Grimsby Town manager Paul Hurst told BBC Radio Humberside:

“I felt we started the game right and then it slowed a bit, but that was the problem.

“I think the lads felt like they were in control, but it was too slow.

“The longer it went on I did feel that our fitness and fresh legs would come through and again I think that showed.”

Read more at BBC Sport

Conference: Chester 2-2 Grimsby

Grimsby’s Conference title hopes were dealt a blow as Chester hit back late on to deny them a fifth straight win.

Ollie Palmer finished well from Jon-Paul Pittman’s cross on 21 minutes.

And, when Nathan Arnold’s effort hit the post, Pittman netted the rebound for a 2-0 lead on 67 minutes.

But Ben Heneghan smashed in a reply on 75 minutes before John Rooney’s penalty, after Gregor Robertson had fouled Matty Hughes, levelled it up for Steve Burr’s men six minutes from time.

Grimsby stay fourth, five points behind leaders Barnet, while Chester move back up into 10th spot, their highest league ranking since the club reformed in 2010.

Read more at BBC Sport

Conference: Barnet 1-3 Grimsby

Grimsby scored twice in the final minute to secure a dramatic victory over league leaders Barnet.

The Mariners took the lead midway through the first-half through Christian Jolley’s tap-in following Jack Mackreth’s pinpoint cross.

The home side equalised through Conor Clifford, who hammered his shot into the top corner just before the hour.

Craig Disley and Jon-Paul Pittman slotted home from close range to secure the win in stoppage time.

Grimsby Town manager Paul Hurst told BBC Radio Humberside:

“It’s a nice win but I’ve said before if we lost here we’re still alright, but it’s always nice to get a victory.

“Overall I think today we deserved the victory. Second-half was very different to the first, but overall I thought the lads were excellent.

“I said to the players that I didn’t want to be stood talking about another good performance but not taking the victory.

“Late into the game we were obviously at that point, and a point again wouldn’t have been a disaster, but I felt that our performance overall deserved to take all three points. ”

Read more at BBC Sport

Conference: Grimsby 0-1 Bristol Rovers

Bristol Rovers closed the gap on Conference leaders Barnet with a narrow victory over Grimsby Town.

Tom Lockyer scored the winner in the second half, finding the bottom corner from the edge of the area.

The Pirates missed the opportunity to take the lead earlier, as Matt Taylor struck the post with a penalty.

Lenell John-Lewis missed Grimsby’s only meaningful effort, as Rovers cut Barnet’s lead at the top to four points after the Bees lost at Wrexham.

Grimsby Town manager Paul Hurst told BBC Radio Humberside:

“As I predicted there was not much in it, very little really.

“Ultimately they got the all-important goal. We’ve been beaten by a good side who are on a excellent run.

“They’re very well organised, they know their jobs and are willing to not get carried away with individual performances and work as a team.

“I don’t mean any disrespect to Bristol Rovers but I said I would have been surprised if they totally outplayed us and I don’t think that was the case.”

Read more at BBC Sport

Conference: Forest Green 2-1 Grimsby

Forest Green made it five wins in a row with victory over fellow Conference play-off hopefuls Grimsby Town.

Rovers went ahead when Elliott Frear fired in from Stuart Fleetwood’s pass, although Grimsby quickly levelled when Kurtis Guthrie headed Nathan Arnold’s free-kick into his own goal.

But late drama saw James Norwood net his 11th of the season to win the game for the home side from 12 yards out.

Forest Green climb to fifth, three points behind fourth-placed Grimsby.

Forest Green manager Ady Pennock told BBC Radio Gloucestershire:

“That’s five wins on the spin now and that’s different class.

“It’s all down to the squad, not just the 11 players. The players who came in because of injury and illness shows it’s all about the squad.

“We’ve now got to keep on this good run.

“I still believe from one to 14, teams can get a run together and get in the play-offs.”

Grimsby Town manager Paul Hurst told BBC Radio Humberside:

“For large parts, it was a game in which both teams pretty much cancelled each other out. It wasn’t a great spectacle in terms of quality, just two teams honest and willing to work.

“In the second half we had got on top of the game and we had two really good spells. They did hit the post in the second phase of a set-play but, other than that, we got on top of it.

“If anyone looked like getting the three points it looked like us, so coming away with nothing is disappointing. It’s the first goal that frustrates me more than anything.”

Read more at BBC Sport

Conference: Eastleigh 0-1 Grimsby

Grimsby extended their unbeaten run away from home to 11 league matches with victory against Conference play-off hopefuls Eastleigh at Ten Acres.

Ollie Palmer slotted the game’s only goal in off the post after catching Jamie Turley in possession.

Shaun Pearson had an header cleared off the line by Eastleigh’s Daniel Spence and Ross Flitney kept out Craig Disley’s follow-up effort.

Keeper James McKeown denied Craig McAllister’s late on to ensure victory.

The win moves the fourth-placed Mariners to within a point of second spot, while defeat leaves Eastleigh two points adrift of the top five.

Read more at BBC Sport

Conference: Nuneaton 0-2 Grimsby

Grimsby kept up their Conference promotion push with a comfortable win over struggling Nuneaton.

Jon-Paul Pittman came closest for the Mariners in the first half but his long-range effort hit the crossbar.

Pittman pounced on a rebound to open the scoring before Ross Hannah secured the points late on when he latched onto Aristote Nsiala’s knock-down.

Grimsby extend their unbeaten away run to 10 league matches, while Nuneaton have lost their last three.

Read more at BBC Sport

Conference: Grimsby 3-1 Barnet

Grimsby consolidated their place in the Conference play-off spots by coming from behind to beat leaders Barnet.

John Akinde fired the Bees into an early lead from the penalty spot after being tripped by Aristote Nsiala, his 22nd league goal of the season.

Oliver Palmer soon levelled with an 18-yard drive, before Lenell John-Lewis’s penalty put the Mariners in front after he was fouled by David Stephens.

Jack Mackreth tapped in to seal victory following Palmer’s flick on.

It was Barnet’s second successive league defeat after they were¬†beaten 4-1 at Lincoln earlier this month.

Read more at BBC Sport