Section: Sheff Wed

FA Cup: Man City 2-1 Sheff Wed

James Milner brace completes Man City comeback against Sheff Wednesday

Birthday boy James Milner struck twice as Manchester City came from behind to scrape past battling Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 in the FA Cup third round.

England international Milner, on the day he turned 29, grabbed a last-minute winner after sparing City’s blushes against the Championship side with a 66th-minute equaliser at the Etihad Stadium.

Milner’s double came after he was pushed up front following a poor first half in which City fell behind to an Adthe Nuhiu strike in the 14th minute.

City boss Manuel Pellegrini suggested his team were complacent after a draw against Burnley last week and, after thrashing Wednesday 7-0 in September, the same issue may have resurfaced.

Their first-half performance was sluggish and lacked bite, although they fielded a strong side and began as if the fixture would pose few problems.

They controlled possession in the opening minutes as Bacary Sagna almost found space to shoot in the box and Jesus Navas blasted an effort well over.

But just as it seemed only a matter of time until the hosts took charge, they were caught on the break as Wednesday took a shock lead after 14 minutes.

The Owls had seen little of the ball but they made maximum use of it as Stevie May burst down the right and got behind the defence. May looked up and picked out Nuhiu with a simple pull-back to the edge of the area and the Austrian clinically side-footed past Willy Caballero.

The goal knocked City out of their stride and they struggled to muster a significant response. Simple passes started to go astray and a tetchiness became evident in their play.

Yaya Toure might have changed things as he strode through only to shoot wide and Frank Lampard missed the target when well-placed.

City also felt some rought treatment as Stevan Jovetic was updended crudely by May and referee Michael Oliver simply signalled play on.

Frustration continued as Lampard threaded Jovetic through only for the offside flag to be raised, and such was City’s lack of cohesion that Toure was compared unfavourably to cult hero Carlton Palmer by Wednesday fans.

Pellegrini recognised something needed to change and switched shape for the second half with midfielder Milner moving into a more advanced role.

There was an immediate step up in tempo with Navas firing across goal and Toure having an effort blocked but it was not until David Silva and Samir Nasri entered the fray that City got back into the game.

The two playmakers were introduced just after the hour and their introductions paid instant dividends as Nasri cut inside from the left to pick out Silva and his flick put Milner through. Milner showed good composure to steady himself and drive home an equaliser across Chris Kirkland.

The relief was evident but City still struggled to create the chances to kill the game.

Toure curled a shot narrowly wide but Wednesday were resolute and frustrated the hosts in possession, with Jose Semedo a notable thorn in their side.

The Owls also had some moments of their own as Claude Dielna and Jacques Maghoma got in shots but Caballero was not seriously threatened.

Silva might have settled the contest in the last minute but Kirkland met his shot with a fine save.

Wednesday might have thought they were there but the relief was only temporary. As the game went into four minutes of injury time Silva again picked out Milner and he finished calmly from close range.

Read more at ESPN

Championship: Huddersfield 0-0 Sheff Wed

Sheffield Wednesday were denied a late penalty at Huddersfield as they failed to win for a 10th league game in a row.

Joel Lynch appeared to foul Chris Maguire but referee Graham Salisbury instead gave the free-kick to Town, believing the forward had dived.

Stevie May hit the bar and a post for the Owls, while Royston Drenthe’s shot was superbly saved by Joe Murphy.

The Terriers’ best chances fell to Nahki Wells, who twice had efforts blocked by Keiren Westwood.

The Wednesday goalkeeper was not as busy as his opposite number, who was also involved in three incidents with May.

The Scotland international’s two late challenges on Murphy and the keeper’s late clip on May added some spice to a drab affair, with Drenthe having the first shot on target in the 65th minute.

The former Real Madrid player – on loan from Reading – also came close when he was through on goal only to be denied by a brilliant clearance by Mark Hudson.

May, the Owls’ most potent threat, was unlucky not to score when he surged into the area before smashing a fierce effort that came off the underside of the bar and a post.

The home side felt they should have had a penalty when Lynch appeared to bring down Maguire with 10 minutes remaining, but referee Salisbury was not convinced.

And they went agonisingly close to scoring moments later when Drenthe broke into the area only to see his angled strike pushed away by Murphy.

The result leaves Wednesday in 13th with 22 points, while Huddersfield move up to 14th – a point behind.

Read more at BBC Sport

Championship: Sheff Wed 0-0 Rotherham

Sheffield Wednesday’s search for a second home win of the season goes on after they were held to a goalless draw by local rivals Rotherham.

The Owls, winless in nine, have gone over 400 minutes without a home goal.

Jeremy Helan and Stevie May both went close for the hosts who nearly went ahead when Millers keeper Adam Collin nearly sliced Kirk Broadfoot’s backpass into his own goal.

Paul Green headed the visiting side’s best chance wide.

tuart Gray’s side, who were sixth after their last win over Reading on 20 September, had the first chance of the game but Gary Taylor-Fletcher flicked Helan’s cross just past the post.

The Millers should have taken the lead when Ben Pringle’s corner found Green unmarked but the Republic of Ireland international headed wide.

The hosts nearly broke their home duck in bizarre circumstances when Atdhe Nuhiu pressurised Broadfoot into over-hitting his backpass to Collin who saw his sliced clearance go just wide.

Frazer Richardson and Paul Taylor both went close for the visitors before Helan and Glenn Loovens had chances for the hosts.

The home crowd cried for a penalty when Kieran Lee appeared to be felled in the area by Broadfoot but they had to settle for a point that sees them move up to 13th.

The draw stretches Rotherham’s winless run to five.

Read more on BBC Sport

Championship: Sheff Wed 0-2 Bournemouth

Bournemouth went top of the Championship by beating 10-man Sheffield Wednesday for a seventh consecutive league and cup victory.

The mid-table Owls were holding their own until Royston Drenthe was sent off after an hour for a second booking.

Five minutes later, Callum Wilson found Andrew Surman, who curled a left-foot shot past Keiren Westwood.

And the game was sealed when Ryan Fraser clipped the ball home moments after coming on as a substitute.

Recent weeks have seen Eddie Howe’s Cherries surge up the table, only six years since they started the League Two season on minus 17 points for exiting administration in an incorrect manner.

The Owls, on the other hand, have struggled for consistency and have only scored three goals in their seven home league games this season.

Read more on BBC Sport

Championship: Brighton 0-1 Sheff Wed

Giles Coke scored the only goal as Sheffield Wednesday opened their Championship campaign with victory at 10-man Brighton.

Coke found the net in fine style, curling a superb shot over David Stockdale and into the roof of the net.

Up to then, the hosts had been on top.

But Brighton’s chances of mounting a successful comeback for new boss Sami Hyypia were wrecked when Andrew Crofts was dismissed for a dangerous tackle on Sam Hutchinson just after the break.

Former Liverpool centre-back Hyypia is back in England five years after calling time on his decade long playing career at Anfield.

The Finn gave debuts to keeper David Stockdale, veteran defender Aaron Hughes, and strikers Chris O’Grady and Shamir Fenelon.

O’Grady, a £500,000 signing from Barnsley, put a left-foot shot on the turn wide and then fed Kazenga Lua Lua to force Keiren Westwood into a brave stop.

Coke gave Wednesday, who confirmed the capture of St Johnstone’s Stevie May immediately before kick-off, the advantage just before the break when he produced his amazing goal from 25 yards.

Soon after the restart Crofts received a straight red card for his high tackle on Hutchinson.

And although O’Grady had a chance to level, only to be denied by Westwood, Brighton were unable to build up enough pressure to force an equaliser.

Read more on BBC Sport