Section: Rotherham

Championship: Wolves 5-0 Rotherham

Striker Benik Afobe’s brace helped a rampant Wolves maintain their Championship play-off push as they thrashed Rotherham United at Molineux.

Wolves took the lead when Kevin McDonald crossed for Afobe to fire home before Nouha Dicko doubled their lead.

Rotherham’s best chance came before the break when Matt Derbyshire nodded Adam Hammill’s cross on to the post.

But Wolves capitalised with Afobe finding a second before Dave Edwards and Bakary Sako sealed three points.

It capped off a good afternoon for the hosts who kept alive their play-off hopes but Rotherham slipped to 21st place, having now conceded 10 goals in their last three matches.

A spell of early pressure told for Wanderers when McDonald managed to pick out former Arsenal trainee Afobe who kept his composure to beat Rotherham keeper Adam Collin.

Minutes later, Wolves doubled their advantage when scorer turned provider as Afobe played Dicko through to notch his 10th goal of the season.

But Rotherham fought back in a lively first half, with former Molineux man Hammill finding Derbyshire whose header hit the upright.

After the break, home keeper Tomasz Kuszczak kept Wolves in control when Zeki Fryers whipped in a cross to the head of Derbyshire, but the Pole made a wonderful one-handed save.

Wolves found a third on the counter from a Rotherham corner as James Henry set up the onrushing Afobe to calmly finish.

The hosts did not ease off, however, as Sako whipped the ball to the near post towards Edwards who headed home a fourth.

Six minutes later, Wolves were five up after Rajiv van La Parra passed straight through to Sako to beat Collin and put them out of sight.

Read more at BBC Sport

Championship: Blackburn 2-1 Rotherham

Blackburn kept up their chase for a play-off place as Jordan Rhodes’s late goal secured victory over Rotherham.

Midfielder Craig Conway gave Rovers the lead with a superb curling effort from 20 yards.

Rotherham were dominant after the break and deservedly drew level when Matt Derbyshire poked home Paul Green’s low cross.

But Blackburn snatched victory when Rhodes stabbed home a loose ball after poor defending from the Millers.

The winner came two minutes after the hosts had hit the post through Rudy Gestede.

Rotherham still had time to find an equaliser but Green put a free header wide when presented with a golden chance.

Blackburn remain ninth, ten points behind the final play-off position, occupied by sixth-placed Brentford.

Rotherham drop to 19th, just three points above the relegation zone.

Read more at BBC Sport

Championship: Rotherham 2-0 Ipswich

Conor Sammon scored against his former club to help Rotherham to a surprise win over promotion hopefuls Ipswich.

The striker, who spent the first half of the season on loan at Portman Road, lashed home from close range after the visitors failed to clear a corner.

Matt Derbyshire’s earlier header put the Millers ahead as he stooped at the far post following a defensive lapse.

Rotherham goalkeeper Adam Collin made several saves, including a fingertip stop from Luke Chambers’ header.

The three points for Steve Evans’s men was just their second victory at the New York Stadium since mid-October, while Ipswich have now won once in their last six league games and drop to fifth in the table.

Daryl Murphy, the Championship’s leading scorer with 18 goals, spurned a glorious opportunity to put the visitors ahead after just 16 seconds when he burst into the box after outmuscling Millers captain Craig Morgan, but his weak effort was saved easily by the legs of Collin.

After such a bright opening, the game quietened down before the hosts opened the scoring through former Olympiacos forward Derbyshire.

Ben Pringle’s deep free-kick evaded every Ipswich player, Morgan flicked the ball on and it found its way to Derbyshire, who bravely dived in to nod home.

The visitors began the second half brightly and almost equalised when Cole Skuse’s pin-point free-kick found the head of Chambers, but his powerful header was superbly tipped over by Collin.

Shortly after Murphy’s header was cleared off the line by Zeki Fryers, the hosts went down the other end and doubled their advantage throughDerby loanee Sammon.

Pringle’s corner was not cleared by the Tractor Boys’ defence, the ball broke to Sammon and he lashed it past Polish keeper Bartosz Bialkowski.

The second goal seemed to deflate Mick McCarthy’s side as they pushed forward but failed to create any clear-cut opportunities before Millers substitute Jordan Bowery almost made it 3-0 in stoppage time, when he raced through on goal but his attempt was kept out by Bialkowski.

Read more at BBC Sport

Championship: Charlton 1-1 Rotherham

Charlton and Rotherham both scored in the final seven minutes as their Championship encounter ended in a draw.

Addicks midfielder Jordan Cousins broke the deadlock on 83 minutes, shooting home from six yards out.

The visitors went close to an equaliser with three minutes to go, but goalkeeper Marko Dmitrovic pushed away Paul Green’s close-range header.

But the Millers did grab a point when Danny Ward converted a high ball into the box in injury time.

It was enough to move Steve Evans’s side up a place into 20th in the table, while Charlton slip to 18th.

Guy Luzon, taking charge of the Addicks for the first time, almost saw his side fall behind when Ben Pringle’s shot against the post.

Charlton responded and almost took the lead with their first attempt, but Igor Vetokele diverted a Chris Solly corner over the bar.

The woodwork intervened again when a Charlton counter-attack finished with Johann Gudmundsson chipping Adam Collin, only for his shot to strike both posts.

Andre Bikey’s acrobatic effort for the home side then went narrowly over, before the deadlock was broken by Cousins.

After Dmitrovic’s excellent save from Green, Adam Hammill also went close for the away side before Ward finally equalised in injury time.

Read more at BBC Sport

Championship: Rotherham 4-2 Bolton

Rotherham produced a terrific first-half display against Bolton to set up their second league win in 15 matches.

Ben Pringle volleyed Conor Newton’s cross home before Conor Sammon netted his first Rotherham goal on 22 minutes.

Matt Derbyshire set up Sammon’s tap-in and Paul Green’s glancing header, before Derbyshire smashed in the Millers’ fourth after the interval.

Liam Trotter and Matt Mills reduced the arrears, but Rotherham moved five points clear of the relegation zone.

Bolton, on 33 points, are only four points better off than the hosts but went into this game on a run of only one defeat in their last 11 league games.

Their form since Neil Lennon took charge in October has been in stark contrast to their early season results. but a horror opening period left the visitors with too much to do, despite a late rally.

Pringle was on hand at the back post to turn home a delivery from Newton – making his first start for Steve Evans’s side since his move from Newcastle last summer – and though Bolton rallied, Eidur Gudjohnsen was denied the chance to level by Richie Smallwood’s sliding tackle.

Derbyshire was the game’s stand-out player and his effort – saved by Andy Lonergan – left on-loan Derby forward Sammon with an easy goal.

Sammon had only managed one goal in 19 league appearances while on loan at Ipswich earlier in the campaign, but gave his new side a platform to go on and secure their sixth win of the season.

Green’s header put the home side 3-0 up by the break and Derbyshire all but ended the contest on 57 minutes after he glided unopposed through the Bolton midfield to blast his second goal of the season into the top corner.

Trotter struck a consolation with 13 minutes left when he latched onto a knockdown from Mills, who bundled in a header two minutes later to add some respectability to the scoreline.

However, no late surge arrived as Rotherham made sure of their first home win in nine matches.

Read more at BBC Sport

Championship: Rotherham 0-2 Bournemouth

Bournemouth maintained their one-point lead at the top of the Championship with a clinical win at Rotherham.

The Cherries had the better of the first half with Marc Pugh heading a chance wide and Callum Wilson having an effort ruled out for a foul.

But they had to wait until injury time to go ahead when Tommy Elphick headed home a Charlie Daniels cross.

Wilson wrapped up an eighth win in nine away matches after the break, shooting home from close range after a scramble.

The victory, which kept Bournemouth ahead of Ipswich Town and extended the lead over third-placed Derby County to three points, rarely looked in doubt despite a spirited home response to Wilson’s goal.

The margin never looked like being a repeat of the 5-1 thumping handed out to the Millers in the FA Cup earlier this month, but the manner of the win was equally impressive.

The Cherries defended resolutely throughout and created the better opportunities in a tight game.

Wilson had an effort disallowed for a foul on Kari Arnason just after the half-hour and the visitors then started to get on top as Pugh headed an effort just wide and Matt Ritchie and Wilson also went close.

Rotherham’s best opportunity saw Jack Barmby, recently signed on loan from Leicester, shoot narrowly wide in the 44th minute after a fine move.

But two goals either side of the interval settled the contest and ended any hope of a first Rotherham win in 15 games.

Elphick met a deep Daniels cross to open the scoring and Wilson’s simple finish doubled the advantage.

Brett Pitman almost added a third with free-kick that flew just wide, before the hosts got on top in the latter stages.

Simon Francis made a crucial clearance and only a brave block by Cherries defender Steve Cook denied Paul Green a late consolation.

Read more at BBC Sport

FA Cup: Rotherham 1-5 Bournemouth

Championship leaders Bournemouth came from a goal down to thrash Rotherham and move into the FA Cup fourth round.

Richard Brindley’s deflected effort put the hosts ahead but Shaun MacDonald pulled the Cherries level with a calm finish just before the interval.

Dan Gosling then fed Junior Stanislas who rounded the keeper and tapped in.

Ryan Fraser made it 3-1 after good work from Yann Kermorgant who then hit two in four minutes, meeting Stanislas’s centre and then slotting in a fifth.

Bournemouth had made eight changes for the game, but it did not matter as Eddie Howe’s side recorded their fourth successive win since losing 3-1 to Liverpool in their Capital One Cup quarter-final.

Rotherham, 19th in the Championship, were aiming to reach the fourth round for only the second time in 22 years and those hopes were raised after Brindley’s 10th-minute shot put them ahead, a minute after veteran Cherries full-back Ian Harte had hit the woodwork with a free-kick.

However, they conceded just before half-time as MacDonald slid in an equaliser past goalkeeper Adam Collin, after being played in by Kermorgant following a long spell of possession.

Bournemouth, top scorers in English football’s top four tiers, dominated after the break and took the lead when Stanislas, who had shot wide when well placed in the first half, went round Collin and helped the ball into an empty net.

The impressive Kermorgant was again involved as he flicked the ball to Fraser and he shot low into the bottom corner for the visitors’ third.

The French striker then made the game safe with a rapid brace, latching on to Stanislas’s cross before tapping in a fifth from close range after Collin had saved Steve Cook’s powerful header.

Read more at BBC Sport

Championship: Blackpool 1-1 Rotherham

Substitute Dom Telford scored an equaliser on his home debut to give bottom Championship club Blackpool a point at home to Rotherham.

Lee Clark’s side needed a Joe Lewis penalty save from Tom Lawrence to keep them level at half-time.

They looked set for a 15th league defeat of the season when Emmanuel Ledesma scored in the 57th minute.

But 18-year-old Telford nudged in his first senior goal from close range with six minutes left.

But despite the draw, the Seasiders are nine points adrift of safety and look destined for the drop to League One.

Blackpool, who have managed two league wins all season, were outclassed in the opening 45 minutes, with keeper Lewis pushing an early free-kick around the post from Ledesma – on loan from Middlesbrough – then diving to deny Lawrence.

The keeper then palmed away a curling shot from Lee Frecklington before getting down low to his left to save a 17th-minute penalty from Leicester loanee Lawrence, who had been tripped in the box by Seasiders captain Tony McMahon.

Former Aston Villa striker Jordan Bowery hit the post for Rotherham towards the end of the first half, with Lewis parrying Richard Smallwood’s follow-up.

Nathan Delfouneso had a goal ruled out for offside early in the second half for a much-improved Blackpool.

The home side hit the post themselves through Andrea Orlandi, who had waltzed past three defenders on a run in to the penalty area before shooting.

Ledesma picked up his first Rotherham goal shortly afterwards, twisting and turning on the edge of the Blackpool box before slotting the ball into the bottom corner.

But a long ball forward by Lewis caused mayhem in the Rotherham defence and Telford prodded in – leaving Steve Evans’ side six points above the relegation zone.

Read more at BBC Sport

Championship: Rotherham 0-0 Nottingham Forest

Rotherham’s winless run was extended to nine games as they were held to a goalless draw by Nottingham Forest.

The Millers went closest before the break, with Emmanuel Ledesma cannoning an effort off the crossbar before Tom Lawrence shot wastefully wide.

Henri Lansbury headed over for Forest early in the second half after good work from Michail Antonio.

Keeper Karl Darlow ensured Forest shared the spoils, saving a Reece James shot with his legs.

Despite drawing for the sixth time in nine matches, Rotherham moved three points above the relegation places following Brighton’s 1-0 loss to Millwall on Friday.

Forest, meanwhile, go ninth in the Championship table, but are now five points off play-off places following Watford’s 2-1 win over Wigan Atheltic.

The Millers were almost gifted an early chance with Forest keeper Darlow mis-kicking a backpass from Kelvin Wilson before recovering to clear as Alex Revell closed in.

Antonio created two inviting openings for Forest before the break, crossing for Dexter Blackstock to head wide at the back post before whipping the ball in for Britt Assombalonga to prod off target.

Darlow saved from Ben Pringle, but Ledesma almost put the Millers ahead with a fierce 25-yard effort which struck the woodwork.

A minute later Lawrence steered an effort wide for Steve Evans’ side after James found the on-loan Leicester City forward unmarked in the box.

Lansbury nodded over early in the second half following more good work from Antonio down the left, and although Blackstock found the back of the net with a header before the hour, his effort was ruled out for a push.

Pringle squandered a glorious chance to put Rotherham ahead soon after, blasting over from six yards after Lawrence found the midfielder with a neat cut-back pass.

And Darlow ensured Stuart Pearce’s Forest left the New York Stadium with a point by foiling on-loan Manchester United defender James.

Read more at BBC Sport

Championship: Cardiff 0-0 Rotherham

Cardiff City failed to win at home for the first time in six matches after a goalless draw against struggling Rotherham United.

Federico Macheda had the Bluebirds’ best effort, but his shot was saved by Millers goalkeeper Adam Collin.

Adam Revell hit the crossbar with a header for United in a match of few clear-cut chances.

Rotherham remain one place above the relegation zone in 21st, while Cardiff drop to ninth.

Steve Evans’ side have now gone eight matches without a win in the Championship.

But their hard-fought point at the Cardiff City Stadium extends the gap between them and 22nd placed Brighton, who lost 3-0 at leaders Derby, to two points.

Bluebirds boss Russell Slade, meanwhile, was hoping to exact revenge over the Yorkshire side, who won promotion from League One in the play-off final in May on penalties, when he was in charge of Leyton Orient.

The visitors, who have only won once on the road in the league this season, started the brightest with midfielder Richard Smallwood’s long-range effort going narrowly wide of the Cardiff goal.

Rotherham dominated possession in the first half, but failed to create any real chances of note.

Cardiff also struggled to get going and forced their first corner of the half in the 43rd minute.

After the break United were first to threaten to break the deadlock, as former Manchester United forward Tom Lawrence cut inside the Cardiff penalty area, but saw his effort well held by goalkeeper David Marshall.

Moments later Rotherham’s Argentine midfielder Emmanuel Ledesma, on loan from Middlesbrough, went close, striking a free-kick from 25 yards out, narrowly wide of the Bluebirds’ upright.

Second-half substitute Macheda came on for the largely ineffective Kenwyne Jones and his arrival sparked the liveliest spell of the match as Cardiff pressed forward.

Peter Whittingham and Adam Le Fondre had efforts on goal blocked, before Aaron Gunnarsson’s pass picked out Italian striker Macheda in the area, but his shot was parried away by Rotherham keeper Collin.

The visitors counter-attacked in a breathless passage of play, which ended as Revell headed Smallwood’s cross against the Cardiff crossbar.

Read more at BBC Sport