Section: Brentford

Championship: Brentford 3-1 Bournemouth

Brentford rekindled their play-off bid as Bournemouth missed the chance to return to the top of the Championship.

The Bees went ahead through Jonathan Douglas, who rifled home after Yann Kermorgant was caught in possession.

But then a Brentford mistake let in Marc Pugh, who hit the post but buried the rebound to level the scores.

Alex Pritchard fired in a 35-yard free kick before half time and Pritchard crossed for Chris Long to add a third late in the game.

Half-time substitute Ryan Fraser had revitalised Bournemouth after an off-key first period, but was denied by the foot of the post and then by onrushing keeper David Button.

As the visitors poured forward, Brentford’s Jota also hit the frame of the goal and was denied twice by keeper Artur Boruc in the dying minutes, but substitute Long’s first goal for Brentford finally settled an enthralling end-to-end match between two of the Championship’s unlikeliest promotion contenders.

The Bees, who announced this week that boss Mark Warburton would leave at the end of the season, struck first when Kermorgant’s hesitation was punished as the lively Pritchard crossed and Douglas made no mistake with a measured left-foot finish.

Chants of “Warburton, Warburton” could immediately be heard around Griffin Park as the home fans made their support clear.

But Bournemouth levelled when Toumani Diagouraga inadvertently deflected a through ball into the path of Pugh, who rounded Button and though his first effort hit the post, he volleyed in the rebound.

Boruc was rescued by Steve Cook’s goal-line clearance from an Andre Gray effort, but the Pole was found wanting as Pritchard’s curling free-kick flew to the goalkeeper’s left and an attempted punch left both ball and keeper nestling in the net.

Warburton is leaving as he disagrees with owner Matthew Benham’s desire for a more statistics-based approach to recruitment.

But a wholehearted display from his players, who had to defend for their lives after the break, ensured Brentford prevailed by three to one in the day’s most important statistic.

Read more at BBC Sport

Championship: Huddersfield 2-1 Brentford

Sean Scannell marked his 100th Huddersfield Town appearance with a goal to help end Brentford’s five-game winning run.

Scannell met a low Nahki Wells cross to score from a tight angle, while home keeper Alex Smithies denied Alan Judge and Jake Bidwell at the other end.

Bidwell found the back of his own net after the break, turning in a fiercely hit Jack Robinson cross.

Jonathan Douglas pulled one back with a prodded effort, but the hosts held on.

Huddersfield’s first victory in five games moves them up to 15th in the Championship, while Brentford slip back to fifth and four points off top spot after failing to add to their club record-equalling run of five wins in English football’s second tier.

The Bees started brightly with Douglas glancing a header wide from a Moses Odubajo cross and Smithies was called on to make a fine save to keep Judge’s deflected effort out.

Scannell punished the visitors for their inability to deal with Wells’ neatly pulled back cross from the near post on 18 minutes, racing in to lash home after Grant Holt failed to reach the ball.

Smithies protected the lead by denying Bidwell, who latched onto the rebound from Mark Hudson’s block on Alex Pritchard.

Both sides continued to threaten before half-time, with Jacob Butterfield calling Bees keeper David Button into action, while Pritchard twice went close for the Londoners.

Bidwell, under pressure from Scannell, then bundled the ball into his own goal after Robinson whipped in a dangerous cross.

Wells wasted two glorious chances to make it three before Douglas got on the end of a pass from substitute Tommy Smith to make it 2-1.

Button also denied Wells from point-blank range, while Smithies made a number of crucial late saves to ensure Chris Powell’s men claimed all three points.

Read more at BBC Sport

Championship: Brentford 2-1 Fulham

An injury-time winner saw newly-promoted Brentford come from behind to beat Fulham and move to within one point of Championship leaders Derby.

Spanish substitute Jota struck a deflected winner to earn the Bees a fourth successive win and move them up to fourth.

Hugo Rodallega put the visitors ahead against the run of play from close range on 57 minutes.

Harlee Dean shot into the top corner to level before Jota’s intervention.

It was the first west London league derby between these two sides for 16 years and the hosts dominated from the start.

Only wayward finishing and good goalkeeping by Fulham’s Marcus Bettinelli kept the visitors, who were previously unbeaten in six matches, in the game.

However, Dean’s slip just before the hour mark allowed former Leeds man Ross McCormack to slide Rodallega in for Fulham’s opener as the Cottagers threatened to continue their recent run of good form.

But, buoyed by a sold-out Griffin Park, Mark Warburton’s side hit back as their high-tempo style finally paid dividends.

Dean fired into the roof of the net to level with nine minutes left before Jota sealed victory.

Read more at BBC Sport

Championship: Bournemouth 1-0 Brentford

Substitute Junior Stanislas maintained Bournemouth’s early position as Championship leaders with the only goal as they beat Brentford.

Stanislas, who joined from Burnley in the summer, nudged in Ryan Fraser’s cross on his home debut to maintain the Cherries’ 100% record this term.

Callum Wilson had earlier gone close as his shot was cleared off the line.

Striker Andre Gray had Brentford’s best chance, striking the crossbar in the first half with a fierce shot.

Eddie Howe’s Bournemouth won 4-0 at Huddersfield in their opener last weekend, but were made to work for their victory in blustery conditions by a Brentford side seeking their first success since promotion to the second tier.

Matt Ritchie sent in a 25-yard-shot early on that Bees keeper David Button watched over the top, and at the other end last season’s Conference Premier top scorer Gray showed his threat with a drive that smacked off the woodwork.

Lee Camp was made to work in the Bournemouth goal, denying Moses Odubajo, while Yann Kermorgant’s curler from the edge of the box was saved by Button before the break.

Wilson passed up his opportunity when he failed to get a clean connection and Jake Bidwell guided the ball clear, while an Alex Pritchard free-kick was dealt with by Camp.

The introduction of Stanislas for Marc Pugh gave Howe’s outfit the spark they needed when he put them ahead, and he might have had a second but for Tony Craig’s crucial block.

Read More on BBC Sport

Championship: Brentford 1-1 Charlton

Substitute Tommy Smith salvaged a point for Brentford as the Bees marked their first appearance in the second tier since 1993 with a hard-earned draw against Charlton.

Igor Vetokele, who joined the Addicks from FC Copenhagen in the summer, headed his side ahead at Griffin Park.

George Èšucudean and substitute Callum Harriott wasted chances for Charlton.

And they were made to pay as Smith’s late deflected shot ensured Brentford a share of the spoils.

England manager Roy Hodgson was in the crowd at Griffin Park as was Football Association chairman Greg Dyke, the former Brentford chairman. And they witnessed a hard-fought London derby.

Brentford, who secured automatic promotion from League One in April, did not look overawed as they started brightly against opponents who struggled in the Championship last season.

Midfielder Alex Pritchard, on loan from Tottenham, went close from 20 yards in the opening stages before Judge forced Addicks keeper Henderson into a fine 40th-minute save.

But Charlton created the better chances and will likely rue those missed opportunities.

With the game goalless, Èšucudean was clean through but Bees keeper David Button stood his ground to make a fine save.

Charlton, in their first competitive match under manager Bob Peeters, took the lead when Vetokele struck from a corner shortly after the 22-year-old had been denied by Button.

But Brentford responded well and former Cardiff man Smith equalised with a shot that hit Charlton’s former Chelsea and Manchester City defender Tal Ben Haim before finding the net.

Read More on BBC Sport