Section: Bournemouth

Championship: Reading 0-1 Bournemouth

Callum Wilson’s 22nd goal of the season edged Bournemouth closer to the Premier League after a tense win at Reading.

Wilson tapped home from close range after Andrew Surman’s initial shot had bounced back off the post.

Bournemouth needed a stunning one-handed save by Artur Boruc from Jamie Mackie’s volley to help seal a vital three points.

The Cherries have a one-point lead and superior goal difference at the top of the Championship with three games left.

Norwich stay second, although Watford can join them on 82 points if they beat Nottingham Forest on Wednesday.

Middlesbrough also have not given up the chase for automatic promotion, with their victory over Wolves moving them to 81 points.

The race for the top flight remains extraordinarily tight and although victory confirmed a place in the play-offs at the very least for Bournemouth, manager Eddie Howe’s side have their sights set on the league title.

Read more at BBC Sport

Championship: Brighton 0-2 Bournemouth

Bournemouth edged closer to promotion to the Premier League after second-half goals from Yann Kermorgant and Callum Wilson sealed victory over Brighton.

The Cherries moved four points clear with four games left, but Norwich and Watford can close the gap on Saturday.

In a match of few chances Leon Best had Brighton’s best effort with his tame effort straight at Artur Boruc.

However, Kermorgant’s stunning 25-yard free-kick and Wilson’s cool finish from close range secured the points.

With five points covering the top four, the promotion race threatens to go to the last game of the season but Bournemouth will reach the top flight if they win their remaining fixtures.

Brighton remain 19th and are still nine points above the relegation zone, although Millwall in 23rd place have two games in hand.

Read more at BBC Sport

Championship: Ipswich 1-1 Bournemouth

Substitute Kenwyne Jones struck on his Bournemouth debut to salvage a point away to Ipswich Town.

The striker, on loan from Cardiff, had been on for just over three minutes when he headed in from a corner.

Freddie Sears had put the home side ahead early on, and goalkeeper Bartosz Bialkowski had preserved their lead with several important saves.

The Cherries pressed for a late winner with Bialkowski saving deep into added time but had to settle for a point.

Trinidad and Tobago international Jones had admitted to being “surprised” by his move from south Wales to the south coast having scored 13 times.

But his deft header could prove to be vital in Bournemouth’s bid to be promoted to the Premier League for the first time.

They had been replaced as Championship leaders by Middlesbrough earlier in the day, and the draw at Portman Road kept them in second place before Derby’s evening meeting with Watford.

Ipswich’s point put them into the play-off places ahead of Derby v Watford, and they were ahead after just six minutes when Sears found the top corner for his fifth goal since joining from Colchester in January.

Bialkowski helped keep Ipswich ahead with some fine saves, twice denying long-range efforts from Ryan Fraser.

Matt Ritchie also tested Ipswich’s Polish keeper from distance, with Fraser scuffing his follow-up shot wide.

Bournemouth’s Artur Boruc used his legs to thwart Luke Varney, and the on-loan Pole’s save proved vital when Jones equalised shortly afterwards.

The ex-Southampton, Sunderland and Stoke striker cleverly guided Ritchie’s corner past Bialkowski, who prevented Bournemouth enjoying a dramatic win with a brilliant save to deny Yann Kermorgant in injury time.

Read more at BBC Sport

Championship: Cardiff 1-1 Bournemouth

Bruno Ecuele Manga’s second-half header secured a point for Cardiff as Bournemouth were knocked off the Championship summit.

Harry Arter’s stunning long-range strike gave the pre-match league leaders a half-time advantage.

Cardiff deservedly levelled when Ecuele Manga headed home his third goal of the season from Peter Whittingham’s corner.

Bournemouth slip down to third after promotion rivals Watford and Middlesbrough won on the road.

The draw sees Cardiff move up one place to 13th as they secured a second notable result in four days against promotion hopefuls.

Cardiff, chasing their first home win in two months, made two changes to the side which had won 2-1 at Brentford on Saturday.

Striker Kenwyne Jones replaced the suspended Federico Macheda while Matthew Connolly was added to the defence in place of Lee Peltier.

Bournemouth’s only change to the side which started in the 4-0 win over Blackpool saw Arter return from suspension to replace Shaun MacDonald.

Marc Pugh gave the home side an early warning of Bournemouth’s intent when the winger struck the crossbar after a fine run.

Craig Noone and then Alex Revell tested Cherries goalkeeper Artur Boruc in what was a lively opening.

The visitors took the lead in stunning fashion with the returning Arter’s powerful 35-yard shot giving Simon Moore no chance.

Brett Pitman fired wide with a volley as Bournemouth went after a second, although Revell fired over the crossbar as Cardiff responded.

Fabio’s timely interception stopped Matt Ritchie doubling Bournemouth’s lead early in the second half while at the other end Jones’s header was saved by Boruc.

But Boruc was beaten by Ecuele Manga’s powerful header from six yards, the Bournemouth defence having failed to deal with Whittingham’s corner.

Read more at BBC Sport

Championship: Fulham 1-5 Bournemouth

Bournemouth returned to the top of the Championship on goal difference thanks to a stunning victory at Fulham.

Brett Pitman and Matt Ritchie both scored twice as Fulham had Fernando Amorebieta sent off and conceded five goals for the fifth time this season.

Pitman opened the scoring, Ritchie drilled home the second and Pitman slotted in the third after an hour.

Matt Smith got one back before Amorebieta was dismissed and Ritchie and Steve Cook completed the rout.

Bournemouth’s promotion challenge had faltered in recent weeks but afterbeating Wolves 2-1 in mid-week they scored five – also for the fifth time this term – to overhaul Middlesbrough at the top.

Pitman scored his first goal in 12 games to put Bournemouth in front after 29 minutes with a left-footed shot and Ritchie then netted his 10th goal of the season with a shot from outside the box.

Pitman made it 3-0 with a superb solo effort after an hour before Smith’s explosive finish gave the home side brief hope.

But the Cottagers, with just one win in their previous 10 games, had Amorebieta sent off when the defender tripped Callum Wilson as he raced clear.

Two minutes later, Ritchie drove home a low free-kick to make it 4-1 and six minutes from time Cook lashed an angled shot into the top corner to complete a miserable Friday night for Fulham.

Read more at BBC Sport

Championship: Bournemouth 2-1 Wolves

Bournemouth secured their first Championship win in six games to reignite their automatic promotion hopes against Wolves.

French forward Yann Kermorgant put Eddie Howe’s side ahead when he hooked home Callum Wilson’s cross.

Benik Afobe equalised after slotting past Artur Boruc following Kevin McDonald’s superb through ball.

But Kermorgant won the game for the hosts from the penalty spot after Richard Stearman’s foul on Wilson.

The penalty was strongly disputed by Wolves but referee James Linnington dismissed their protests and Kermorgant beat Tomas Kuszckak for his 13th goal of the season.

It was Bournemouth’s first victory in the league since 7 February and lifted them to fourth in the table.

They are two points behind second-placed Derby with 11 matches remaining.

The defeat damaged Wolves’s hopes of reaching the play-offs after a solid recent run.

Kenny Jackett’s men are four points off the play-offs after their three-match winning streak came to an end.

The visitors were second best for long periods as Howe’s men looked in a real hurry to end a poor run that had seen them fail to win in five previous games.

Bournemouth will look to build on the momentum when they face Fulham at Craven Cottage on Friday.

Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe: “It gives everyone a boost. All the question marks, doubt and negativity, from our perspective, were never there.

“It doesn’t mean it goes away because you have to prove yourselves every week, but it proves there’s nothing wrong with this team.

“Outside influences can affect the team and it’s my job and my staff’s job to keep their focus clear.

“But you can’t help them reading newspapers and all the rest. As much as you want to keep them away from it, I think they’re going to find it.

“That inner self belief is so important. We have to know how good we are.”

Wolves manager Kenny Jackett: “I was disappointed with the two goals we conceded.

“The first one looked soft, and then with the second one, the first contact from Richard Stearman was outside the box.

“The referee and the linesman have to be really sure that it is inside the box and I thought that was a fortunate decision for Bournemouth.

“I haven’t seen the referee yet and whether I see him or not, it won’t change the decision or the result.”

Read more at BBC Sport

Championship: Notts Forest 2-1 Bournemouth

Dougie Freedman’s unbeaten start as Nottingham Forest manager stretched to five matches as they came from behind to beat promotion-chasing Bournemouth.

Andrew Surman fired Bournemouth into a third-minute lead from 25 yards as they looked to avoid a second successive defeat.

But Jamaal Lascelles shot through a crowded box to level before Henri Lansbury’s free-kick sealed the win.

The Cherries are four points off the Championship’s top two in fourth.

Eddie Howe’s men had previously gone four league matches unbeaten to raise hopes of automatic Premier League promotion but back-to-back defeats have dented their bid.

Forest on the other hand have now won four in five matches since Freedman replaced Stuart Pearce and have moved to within 12 points of the top six.

Surman’s delicious curled opener after three minutes was the least Bournemouth deserved in the opening exchanges as they pressured the home goal.

Forest held firm though and levelled as Lascelles sent a shot from the edge of the area through a crowded box for his first goal since April.

The hosts took the lead on the stroke of half-time as skipper Lansbury converted a free-kick from 20 yards.

After the break Lascelles had a header cleared off the line and Lansbury curled another free-kick just over as Forest deservedly secured maximum points.

Read more at BBC Sport

Championship: Brentford 3-1 Bournemouth

Brentford rekindled their play-off bid as Bournemouth missed the chance to return to the top of the Championship.

The Bees went ahead through Jonathan Douglas, who rifled home after Yann Kermorgant was caught in possession.

But then a Brentford mistake let in Marc Pugh, who hit the post but buried the rebound to level the scores.

Alex Pritchard fired in a 35-yard free kick before half time and Pritchard crossed for Chris Long to add a third late in the game.

Half-time substitute Ryan Fraser had revitalised Bournemouth after an off-key first period, but was denied by the foot of the post and then by onrushing keeper David Button.

As the visitors poured forward, Brentford’s Jota also hit the frame of the goal and was denied twice by keeper Artur Boruc in the dying minutes, but substitute Long’s first goal for Brentford finally settled an enthralling end-to-end match between two of the Championship’s unlikeliest promotion contenders.

The Bees, who announced this week that boss Mark Warburton would leave at the end of the season, struck first when Kermorgant’s hesitation was punished as the lively Pritchard crossed and Douglas made no mistake with a measured left-foot finish.

Chants of “Warburton, Warburton” could immediately be heard around Griffin Park as the home fans made their support clear.

But Bournemouth levelled when Toumani Diagouraga inadvertently deflected a through ball into the path of Pugh, who rounded Button and though his first effort hit the post, he volleyed in the rebound.

Boruc was rescued by Steve Cook’s goal-line clearance from an Andre Gray effort, but the Pole was found wanting as Pritchard’s curling free-kick flew to the goalkeeper’s left and an attempted punch left both ball and keeper nestling in the net.

Warburton is leaving as he disagrees with owner Matthew Benham’s desire for a more statistics-based approach to recruitment.

But a wholehearted display from his players, who had to defend for their lives after the break, ensured Brentford prevailed by three to one in the day’s most important statistic.

Read more at BBC Sport

Championship: Bournemouth 1-1 Huddersfield

Bournemouth returned to the top of the Championship on goal difference, despite being held by Huddersfield.

The Cherries are level on points with Middlesbrough and a point clear of third-placed Derby, both of whom are in FA Cup fifth-round action this weekend.

An excellent set-piece routine was finished off by Yann Kermorgant to put the hosts in front before half-time.

But Huddersfield striker James Vaughan turned in Jack Robinson’s shot midway through the second period to level.

The visitors responded well to their 4-1 home defeat by Wolves in midweek, producing a superb battling display against a Bournemouth team that have now drawn consecutive home games.

Huddersfield made a bright start but it was the hosts who created the majority of the game’s early chances.

Defender Steve Cook and striker Kermorgant sent headers off target for Bournemouth, who won 4-0 at Huddersfield on the opening day of the season, while Terriers goalkeeper Alex Smithies made saves from two Matt Ritchie attempts either side of Kermorgant’s opener.

That goal came when Matt Ritchie’s corner was played in low and Harry Arter allowed the ball to run through to Kermorgant, who drilled low into the net.

At the other end, Cherries goalkeeper Artur Boruc kept out Tommy Smith’s curling shot, but Huddersfield chances were rare despite their continuous endeavour.

And Vaughan’s equaliser, his third in as many games, came against the run of play after Bournemouth had dominated possession for large spells in the opening stages of the second period.

The impressive Smithies made further saves from Kermorgant, Ritchie and Arter, while Callum Wilson had an effort cleared off the line in the closing minutes as Bournemouth searched in vain for a winning goal.

Read more at BBC Sport

Championship: Bournemouth 2-2 Derby

Darren Bent’s fourth goal in five games earned a point for Derby and knocked promotion rivals Bournemouth off the top of the Championship.

Matt Ritchie swept in a stylish opener for Bournemouth after Yann Kermorgant played the ball into his path.

But Bent set up forward Tom Ince to equalise on the half-hour mark.

Callum Wilson fired in to give Bournemouth a half-time lead, before Bent – on loan from Aston Villa – scored from a Simon Dawkins cut-back.

Bournemouth showed why they are the country’s top scorers by taking the lead with their first meaningful chance.

Wilson went bursting down the right and his cross was chested down by Kermorgant for Ritchie to send a cushioned volley beyond Lee Grant and into the bottom right corner.

It was a blow for Derby, who then lost top scorer Chris Martin to an injury, and could have gone further behind as Wilson seized on a poor header from Richard Keogh and steered his shot wide from the edge of the penalty area.

Home goalkeeper Artur Boruc made a terrific save to stop a near-post volley from Bent – on for the injured Martin.

But Derby hit back as Ince finished emphatically from 12 yards after the busy Bent had robbed Bournemouth defender Steve Cook by the corner flag and pulled back a cross.

Wilson restored Bournemouth’s advantage in the final minute of the half, ripping a right-foot shot across Grant into the top corner after Kermorgant had worked tirelessly to chase a long punt up field and keep the ball in play.

The second half was not as frenetic as the first but it required an excellent block by Bournemouth captain Tommy Elphick to deny Ince a second after the winger wriggled past two defenders.

Bent silenced the home fans in the 67th minute to earn a point – again showing Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert what he is missing by sending him on loan.

Read more at BBC Sport