Football: Weymouth 4-2 Frome

Weymouth made it two wins from two from their Southern Premier League quest to date, after they came out on top of a six-goal thriller with Frome Town.

Boss Jason Matthews made just one change from the XI that defeated Hungerford Town on Saturday.

As expected, Sam Poole took his place in the heart of the defence to replace Ed Palmer, who was unavailable.

Terras’ fans would have also been pleased to see young striker Conor Jevon named on the bench, after the club confirmed that he was subject to a formal approach from Poole Town last week.

And apart from an early Robins’ chance for former Weymouth defender Rhys Baggridge, the Terras dominated the opening proceedings and were rewarded for their efforts on 11 minutes.

After Adam Kelly placed a diving header wide from 10 yards out, minutes later the midfielder sent another headed effort which cannoned off the crossbar and fell kindly for defender Jamie Laird to steer his shot into the bottom corner. After going ahead, the hosts then continued to pile the pressure on.

George Rigg sent a free-kick just marginally over the top, followed by a fierce strike from Kelly on the half-volley that fizzed into the stand with Frome keeper Darren Chitty rooted to the spot.

And as Terras’ fans were treated to a slick move from a corner on Saturday, Matthews’ men were then at it again.

Latching on to Chris Shephard’s corner, Chris Mc-Phee surged into the box as a late arrival and struck his first-time effort narrowly wide just past the half-hour mark.

But the home fans were then both stunned and baffled 10 minutes later, when out of nowhere, referee Matt Rushton pointed to the spot to award Frome a penalty.

After the Terras cleared a fierce delivery from the left that was drilled in by Mark Cooper, from the resulting corner, George Rigg was adjudged to have handled the ball in the area, with hardly any appeal from the visitors.

Up stepped Kris Miller to roll the ball to Matthews’ left, and although the Weymouth player-manager dived the correct way, the spot-kick was placed well enough to draw the game level.

After the interval, full-back Jacob Wannell linked up nicely with Kelly on the left flank, and his drive across goal somehow missed everybody.

But just three minutes later, a moment of magic from Kelly put the hosts back in front, sending the home crowd into raptures.

The midfielder picked the ball up in field, and from all of 30 yards, show-ed superb technique to hit an absolute corker into the top of Chitty’s net. Stewart Yetton then had a glorious opportunity to make it three when he broke clear inside the area, and, trying to work the Robins’ stopper at his near post, he saw his attempt comfortably saved.

But the visitors could not prevent Yetton second time around as he then showed his renowned instinct in front of goal to poke home after a superb run from Shephard on the right side to make it 3-1.

Frome then refused to lie down and got themselves back in it just two minutes later when Mark Francis was quickest to react from a header back across goal and put the ball into Matthews’ net.

And just when Weymouth survived couple of late scares in the final 10 minutes, the nerves were settled when a scintillating passing move capped by Rigg ensured the Terras held on for all three points

Read More on Dorset Echo